Moving home is never fun, but it happens to everyone at least a few times in their lives. Movers in Lansing, MI, testify that it can be overwhelming and stressful, and it’s all because of a lack of experience. Focusing on the fact that there will be disarray for only one day helps to keep perspective. You can reduce anxiety and reserve some energy for the real work of unpacking and settling in by following some of these tips.
5 Survival Tips For Moving House
- Keep It Organised
This is your key to reducing stress. Ideally, start four weeks ahead, and create your list of items to pack. Dedicate one week to decluttering your home.
- Pack each room separately, starting with items you don’t need daily, e.g., books.
- See manufacturers’ instructions for dismantling your washing machine and dryer.
- Arrange a safe place for your children and pets to go to.
- Budget For The Moving Truck And Labor
Consider the weather so that you know which vehicle to rent and get estimates. At this stage, you can also consider booking professional movers.
- Plan Your Boxes
Have many boxes in various sizes. Use small ones for heavier items and larger ones for lighter articles. For your first night in your new home, pack these essentials and put them in your vehicle:
- An essential box for each family member containing toiletries, bedding, special toys, etc.
- A pet box with food bowls, food, an extra leash, bedding, and toys for your fur baby.
- A survival box containing your essential appliances, breakfast requirements, snacks, and medications.
- A box for instruction manuals, furniture legs and screws, cupboard keys, and remotes.
- Create An Inventory That Works For You
The list can be broken down by box number and contents, or you can label each box with its location and note how many boxes per room. Color-coding your boxes according to their room location will help you identify packages at a glance.
- Decorate Your New Home Ahead Of Time
- Hire a local handyman to paint, hang pictures, install curtains, rods, blinds, etc.
- Move books, plants, and glass/ ceramic ornaments beforehand.
- Air out and clean your new home.
Enlisting Professional Help
The task of moving home is a huge undertaking, and it becomes even more challenging if you have to do it all yourself. That’s why it’s imperative that you hire professional movers and take advantage of their full services. Moving companies are the best at loading, unloading, and rearranging furniture on moving days. Packing and cleaning can also be included in the service. The process will be much faster, and you will feel much more relaxed.